Time: 40 hours per month, one year contract subject to 2 month probationary period
Pay: £10 p/h (£11.45 p/h higher rate for London) – you will need to invoice as a self employed worker
Interview date will be Thursday 28th June in central London and we have a budget to cover some travel expenses from those coming from out of town.
Place of work: Remote working at home and networking events, some travel costs reimbursed
Reports to: Land Justice Network Coordinator Support Group with additional monthly updates for network members
Continue reading Land Justice Network is recruiting a coordinator
Please find downloadable PDF here – Event Coordinator Job Description
We live in a time of widening social inequality, various housing and health crises, and impending climate collapse. When fire fighting such important issues, it is hard to step back and make time to explore and challenge the roots of these systemic struggles. Land has been the elephant in the room of English politics for so long we have become accustomed to its absence during important discussions. However, if you begin to reframe common questions about housing, environment and health in terms of the role of land, its fundamental importance becomes clear. Land for What? aims to raise awareness, create dialogue and forge connections between affected groups, and inspire us to build long lasting solutions.
Coordinator for ‘Land for What’ convergence on 12th-13th November 2016 in London. Managing the logistics leading up the event and on the day. Liaising with the steering group and with other collaborators. The role will be primarily administrative, aimed at coordinating all the elements needed to run a successful event and help build a movement.
- Responsible for ticketing and inquiries
- Day to day responsibility for event budget
- Working with the Steering Group to develop and put in place the conference programme
- Liaising with collaborating organisations, speakers, chairs and event team
- Overseeing activities on the day – scheduling, venue, catering, speakers etc
- Communications/ promotions for the conference including:
- Writing and collating blogs/ newsletters
- Keeping website updated
- Maintaining social media
- Post event work
- Writing report on key learning/ actions
- Developing mailing list & network of interested organisations
Ideal candidate profile:
- Available for event – 12th-13th November 2016 (and ideally the 2 weeks before)
- Living in London or able and willing to travel in when necessary
- A proven track record organising conferences, ideally in related areas
- Experience managing a team, particularly one involving volunteers
- Good writing skills & a high standard of spoken & written English
- Good at working towards deadlines. Flexible and resourceful. Well organised
- Excellent communication skills
- Knowledge about and passion for issues around land reform and related struggles (housing, food etc.). We value people who have a close association with disenfranchised groups and struggles around land and access to space.
- Experience coordinating multiple groups
- Knowledge about social media, comms and PR
- We welcome applicants from all sectors of society, particularly less represented groups.
- Equivalent 1 day/ week from beginning of September to end of November (14 weeks)
- Ambition to take this to equivalent 2 days/week depending on funding. Also ambition to extend the role beyond November.
- Pay £100/ day = total fee of between £1400 and £2800 (assuming role ends in November)
- This is a freelance role and the successful candidate will be responsible for their own tax affairs.
- Please submit a maximum 2 page CV, and a 1 page covering letter that addresses the following three points:
- Why are you interested in this role?
- How does your experience make you suitable for this role?
- How would you approach the role, if successful?
- We will be using the covering letter as the main method of sifting through potential candidates so please do make sure to submit it and respond to each point clearly and succinctly.
- Deadline: Monday 8th August, 12PM
- Notification of shortlisted candidates: w/c 15th August
- Interviews: w/c 15th or 22nd August
- Start: w/c 29th August